By Ronald Darby

Publisher: CRC
Number Of Pages: 559
Publication Date: 2001-01-15
ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0824704444
ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780824704445
Binding: Hardcover

Book Description:
Combining theoretical and empirical perspectives into a clearly organized and comprehensive text,Chemical Engineering Fluid Mechanics, Second Edition discusses the principal behavioral concepts of fluids and the basic methods of analysis for solving a variety of engineering situations. Drawing on the authors 35 years of experience, the book covers the problems and concerns of performance, equipment operation, and sizing and selection from the viewpoint of a process engineerwith real-world engineering problems. It supplies over 400 end-of-chapter problems and examples to reinforce essential concepts and contains over 1100 equations, literature references, illustrations, and tables.

Summary: Straight Forward Fluid Mechanics
Rating: 4
I have read the other reviews of this book and it is obvious there are conflicting feelings about the material contained in this book. I personally feel this book is a good quality and very useful to a practicing engineer. The book is sometimes a little unclear as to where some of the equations come from or how to read a diagram. I had the privledge of taking this class at Texas A&M from Dr. Ron Darby (the author). His teaching styles are 'old school' but very effective. He and his book make the student THINK about what the answer is. Having taken the class from Dr. Darby, I know clearly where all its equations come from and everything printed in the book is accurate. Dr. Ron Darby is an extremely competent individual and any reader who doesn't understand the book is probably looking for someone to give them the answer rather than think for themselves.

Summary: Excellent text and reference book for engineers.
Rating: 5
The course taught from this book was the most useful course I have taken. The book covers a wide range of topics including Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids and gases, pipes and fittings, pumps and compressors, meters and control valves, filters, centrifuges, settlers, etc. The book is clearly written and emphasizes the solution of practical fluids problems starting from first principles. There are many challenging problems which deal with "real world" situations - not the idealized or hypothetical problems you see in a lot of books. I use this book more on the job than any of the books that I had for courses in school. There were a few typos in the first printing, but these have been corrected in the later printings. I highly recommend the book for both students and practising engineers.

Summary: Poorly presented, poorly formatted, full of errors.
Rating: 1
I used the book for my introductory fluid mechanincs class, and my peers unanimously agreed that this book was the worst book they had ever used for a class. Equations come from nowhere, and practice problems appear before any discussion of material needed to solve them. There are no color diagrams, and the B&W ones that are there are are crude and confusing. The book is full of typographical errors. According to my professor for the class, although he didn't like this book either, it was better than the others available in this subject. I shudder to think that a book could be less useful than this one.

pass: twilightzone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
انجمن مهندسی وب سایت دانشجویان دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی دشتستان
www.diau.ir
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------